Welcome to the podcast for alpaca people!
In this episode, I offer some suggested guidelines for choosing alpacas. If you have any questions, please do let me know.
What do you see when you look at an alpaca?
Some guidelines (not exhaustive)
- Buy the best you can afford – but suitable for your purpose.
- Buy what you like – especially if they are going to be field companions
- buy for the characteristics you need
- do your homework
- think, talk and ask questions
- trust yourself
Some extra questions you may want to ask:
- what has the breeder’s experience been with this alpaca?
- what is the breeding history of this alpaca? (if you are planning to breed yourself)
- what is the health history of this alpaca?
- Is the breeder aware of any issues with this alpaca – either recently or in the bloodline?
- If you are looking at buying more than one alpaca, who do they get on with? (they should be in a minimum group of three)