There are a lot of things to think through and plan if you are going to put on an Open Day. Here Steve Heatherington shares some of what he has learnt over 11 years of open days.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Health and Safety – do your risk assessments and put things in place to keep visitors safe.
- Insurance – you will need Public Liability insurance and keep within any restrictions they impose.
- Security – house and workshops or stores
- People – toilets, handwashing facilities; access for people with disabilities
- Animal – as stress free as possible; no dogs
- payments (cash or card)
- selling animals – not easy to do on a farm open day; collect contact details and arrange for another time
- refreshments – decide extent and price
- feeding the alpacas
MARKETING AND PROMOTION
- social media (including paid adverts?)
- signs to make you easy to find
- banners and information signs
- weather (too hot; too wet)
- disasters and cancellation policy
- returning to normal
- take signs down
- feed yourself and the alpacas
Eventbrite – Discover Great Events or Create Your Own & Sell Tickets
Card Processing — Accept Card Payments Anywhere | Square
Take card payments with Square and get fast deposits, low rates, simple to use point of sale software, dedicated support and powerful eCommerce tools.
OPEN FARM SUNDAY INFO PACK – very good resource